At South Shore Orthopedics, we specialize in providing compassionate, individualized care to children, teens, adults, and elders who have experienced an injury as a result of a severe collision, fall, gunshot wound, accident, or another traumatic event. From diagnosis to surgery to rehabilitation, our board-certified orthopedic surgeons are here to help you every step of the way.
Types of Traumatic Injuries South Shore Orthopedics Treats
We are dedicated to treating a wide range of traumatic injuries such as:
- Complex and Open Fractures
- Pelvic and Acetabular Fractures
- Malunion and Nonunion Fractures
- Sports Injuries
- Work-Related Injuries
- Neck and Back Injuries
- Geriatric/Fragile Fractures
Diagnosing Traumatic Injuries
When you come to us with a traumatic injury, we will perform a comprehensive evaluation which will include a physical exam and imaging tests such as X-rays or possible CTs or MRIs. Following the evaluation, one of our surgeons will develop a personalized treatment plan.
Trauma can occur from a high energy or low energy injury and result in enough force to cause a fracture or significant body damage. While some fractures and injuries can be treated with a splint, cast, brace, or another device that can immobilize and protect the injured area, others are more complex and may require surgery. Some of the common surgical procedures we perform are:
- Reconstruction: The purpose of a reconstruction surgery is to correct abnormalities triggered by damage caused by a major trauma. It is similar to plastic surgery but focuses on improving body function rather than appearance.
- External Fixation: External fixation involves placing screws and pins into the broken bone, above and below the site of the fracture so that bone fragments can be repositioned and stabilized.
- Open Reduction and Internal Fixation: During this treatment, a surgeon will reposition bone fragments into their normal alignment and hold them together with metal plates or screws that are attached to the outer part of the bone.
Our surgeons also work closely with our in-house physical therapists to design a rehabilitation plan to strengthen the body and stretch the injured muscle.
Contact South Shore Orthopedics Today
If you have recently suffered from a traumatic injury, contact South Shore Orthopedics as soon as possible. Our team uses the latest surgical and medical techniques to handle all types of traumatic injuries and get you back on your feet in an efficient and timely manner. We will be here to support you, listen to concerns, and help you return to your daily activities with confidence.